This was me exactly a year ago! The dress on the left was a size 22 and the one on the right is a size 10! I have more work to do but this is decent progress so far :)
Starting weight: 210
Current weight: 145
Goal weight: 120
Fitness and health blog! 💪
How to prevent Emotional Eating.
We all emotionally eat from time to time. Why do we do this? Most likely to take our mind off of whatever is wrong and distract ourselves with something else, food. According to Dr. Susan Albers, when you are stressed out, your body is flooded with cortisol, a stress hormone, which makes you crave carbohydrates, sugar and fatty foods, which may be another reason why we turn to food.
But how can you stop this?
It is important that you recognize the times when something is wrong and you are turning to food. How can you recognize this?
- Emotional hunger isn’t satisfied once you’re full. Instead you will continue to mindlessly eat to the point where you may feel sick.
- Emotional hunger isn’t located in the stomach. Instead you are focused in your head. You are craving specific foods, smells, tastes, etc. You do not actually feel hungry.
- Emotional hunger often leads to regret, guilt, or shame. You feel this way because you know you ate poorly and you know that food was not needed- you were not actually hungry.
- Emotional hunger craves specific comfort foods. When you are truly, physically hungry - you would be willing to eat almost anything- including healthy options like fruits & veggies. However when you emotionally eat you often crave your comfort foods like sweets & other unhealthy options.
- Emotional hunger comes on suddenly, while physical hunger comes on more gradually.
How can you stop/prevent emotional eating?
- Learn how to recognize physical vs. emotional eating. Catch yourself when you are about to emotionally eat and ask yourself if you are really hungry. Figure out what is wrong and causing you to turn to food.
- Is it stress? Many people emotionally eat when they are stressed out with something! You need to realize emotionally eating will most likely make the stress worse- you are not actually dealing with what is wrong and you are going to make yourself feel worse by overeating.
- How can you manage your stress? Figure out what you can do when you feel stressed. Instead of turning to food, call a friend, go for a walk/run, take a bath, go on tumblr, whatever relaxes you and will take your mind off of things!
- Also, figure out how to deal with what is bothering you. While you can go for a walk or take a bath to take your mind off things for now and hopefully prevent yourself from overeating, that may not actually solve what is wrong. Talk to someone about what is wrong and try to figure out what you need to do to get through it!
- If you are eating out of boredom then find a new activity you can do! Take up a new hobby, make plans with friends, look for a job, or something that you would enjoy that would keep you busy more often!
- Learn to deal with your emotions. Instead of turning to food when you are angry, upset, lonely, or even happy, find another outlet for your emotions! Whatever would help you personally. Write it down, as mentioned above, call someone, whatever helps YOU!
Emotional eating can be put to an end and you will feel so much better if you learn to deal with what is stressing you out rather than turning to food! Follow these tips and do your best to work through these situations! It may be hard at first but eventually you will be able to work through stressful times with no problem at all! I know you can all do it ! And I am here if you ever need anything!
If you have trouble with binge eating - I have a post about that here.
And if you just binged or had an off meal - I have a post about that here!
I hope this helps and my ask is always open if you need anything !